Thank you for your application. We receive multiple applications for each dog, and it is our responsibility to choose the home that we feel is the most suitable for that particular dog. If your application is approved you will be contacted. As we rely solely on the help of volunteers, it may take up to a week or two to hear from us. We regret we cannot reply to all applicants.
1. Fill out and submit the application below.
Your application will be reviewed by a Cause for Canines Coordinator, at which point your personal and vet references will be contacted and your vet records will be verified.
2. A Cause for Canines Coordinator will contact you to schedule a home visit.
This is required for all adoptions to ensure fit and safety for our animals. Home visits take anywhere between 15 to 30 minutes.
3. You will be connected with a foster to schedule a meet and greet with the dog or dogs you are interested in.
The meet and greet is also a good opportunity for the foster dog to meet any resident animals.
4. A legally binding adoption contract is agreed upon and signed along with payment of adoption fees.
- We only adopt to Ohio residents – NO EXCEPTIONS.
- We only adopt to adults at least 25 years of age.
- We only adopt to families with children over 5 years old. This rule is for the safety of the child and the well-being of the pet. Toddlers are curious and pups never exceed the mentality of a 2 year old, so they do not consider consequences for their actions. They only react to situations, thus children get scratched, bitten, etc. it isn’t a vicious act, only a reaction to the situation.
- Before applying, please think about your ability to care for a pet, any physical limitations that you have, your age now compared to the life expectancy of a dog, and consider how many hours will you physically be with your pet. Some small animals can live up to 20 years.
- We do prefer a physical fence for most dogs, as it helps protect our pets from harm, people, and other animals. Vets tell us that a home with a fenced yard allows their dog to go out more often, avoiding continued urinary tract infections, which are painful and dangerous. We do not recommend invisible fences for various reasons. Children have been bitten while playing with a dog which was shocked, dogs have been stolen, injured or killed while within an invisible fence or from running through. Most trainers do not recommend invisible fence because it is negative training and may cause long term stress issues.
- We do check with your vet regarding vaccination records for your current pets. Please ensure your current pet is up to date prior to applying for adoption.
- When submitting an application, please be patient. The process can take 48-72 hours, or longer depending on when the application was submitted. We cannot process applications on weekends or holidays due to veterinary practice closures. Adopters must be willing to travel to the Columbus area to meet/pickup the dog.
Not sure what dog you are looking for? Consider fostering!! You will help animals find a home and save a life.
Please direct any specific questions about adopting/fostering, or a specific dog to email@example.com